In session One, we will be focusing on Leonardo daVinci as a learner in a variety of disciplines and his role in the community. Students will participate in a variety of activities that will address the following Big Ideas and Themes:
- What is Excellence? What is Gifted?
- Who was DaVinci? What is Enrichment?
- What does it mean to be a self-directed learner?
- How did DaVinci impact the lives of others? What was his role in the community?
What can you do at home or at school?
The following are suggested prompts for conversations that may occur at home or at the home school prior to this session. They will not be formally assessed on completion, however, prior knowledge may make them more comfortable on the topic.
- What are some examples of DaVinci as a Mathematician? How did DaVinci become an Artist?
- What does it mean to be self-directed? How are we responsible for our own learning?
- What supports are needed most to help us learn and excel in our areas of interest.
Community Kitchen – Please bring a favourite decaffeinated tea for our Kitchen
We will be enjoying TEA to celebrate our community, bring on the discussion, and alleviate anxiety. For more information about using Tea in a community, consider listening to this podcast which discusses Tea as a “foundational concept around which to structure a set of ancient teachings, principles, knowledge and wisdom to glean a broader truth about health, healing, community, the environment, life, life’s meaning and the unifying oneness – or undeniable interconnectedness of everything”. http://www.richroll.com/podcast/rrp-87-wude-on-zen-the-art-importance-of-living-tea/
Please feel free to send an email if you would like to discuss this topic any further or have questions – Zoe Branigan Pipe (firstname.lastname@example.org), Jenn Deans (email@example.com) and Gerry Schaefer (firstname.lastname@example.org) Holbrook # 905 385 5369 http://gifted.commons.hwdsb.on.ca